1. Home
  2. Elected Officials
    1. Assessor
    2. Clerk Auditor
    3. Commissioners
    4. Coroner
    5. Prosecutor
    6. Sheriff
    7. Treasurer
  3. Departments
  4. Contact Us
User Menu Search

Personal Property Taxation - Frequently Asked Questions

Personal Property FAQs

Q:What is personal property?

Taxable personal property/assets consists of items used in a business, such as:

  • Furniture
  • Libraries
  • Art
  • Special uniforms or apparel
  • Coin collections
  • Machinery
  • Tools
  • Equipment
  • Signs
  • Unregistered vehicles
  • Watercraft
  • Store counters
  • Display racks
  • Desks
  • Chairs
  • File cabinets
  • Computers and computer peripherals (including software)
  • Typewriters
  • Office machines
  • Medical/scientific instruments

Please note: This list is not all-inclusive. Contact the Nez Perce County Assessor's Office at 208-799-3010 for more information.

Q:What personal property is assessed?

Unless specifically exempted, all personal property in Idaho is subject to assessment and taxation.

The following list includes some of the major categories exempt from taxation:

  • Personal effects
  • Household items
  • Non-business apparel
  • Registered motor vehicles
  • Livestock
  • Business inventory
  • Equipment used for education
  • Facilities for water or air pollution control
  • Property owned by a fraternal, benevolent or religious organization
  • Most Farm Equipment
  • Other exemptions are allowed by law.

Q:What is transient personal property?

Transient personal property is unregis­tered construction, logging and mining equipment which spend more than 30 days in more than one county in the state during the same year.

If you own transient personal property, you should consider the county in which you maintain a residence or usual place of business as your home county.

Q:What is a lien date?

The lien date is the date taxes are secured by the property being taxed. Nonpayment of taxes that are secured by property may result in the owner losing their property.

The lien date for real property and most personal property is January 1. For personal property brought into Idaho after January 1, the lien date is the first day in which the property was brought into the state.

Q:Who assesses personal property in Nez Perce County?

The Nez Perce County Assessor's Office.

Q:At what value is my personal property assessed?

Personal property is assessed at market value. This value includes shipping and installation charges. Appraisers use several methods to arrive at the value. Depreciation tables, sales information, cost guides and other resources are used in this process.

Q:How does the county assessor know what to assess?

If you have taxable personal property in Nez Perce County, you are required to report it to the Nez Perce County Assessor. This is done by using a Personal Property Declaration, a form available from the Nez Perce County Assessor’s Office. The form contains sections for listing personal property by make, manufacturer, year of manufacture, serial number, year acquired and cost.

Q:When must I report my personal property?

You must return your personal property declaration to the Nez Perce County As­sessor's Office by the date indicated on the declaration, or no later than March 15. A different deadline maybe given if your personal property is missed or your business starts after January 1.

You should file the declaration for transient personal property on or before the first Monday of November of each year with the assessor of your home county. If you own transient personal property, you should notify the county assessor within ten days of entering a county other than the property's home county.

Q:What if a business does not report its personal property?

The Nez Perce County Assessor is required to assess property that has not been declared. The assessment is based on the best information available. Idaho law provides that county officials must double the assessed value of any personal property they discover which has been willfully concealed in order to avoid paying taxes. The assessment is doubled for each year the property escaped assessment. County officials may sell personal property immediately after taxes become delinquent and pay off the tax lien from the pro­ceeds of the sale.

Q:What if I disagree with the assessed value of my personal property?

Contact the Nez Perce County Assessor's Office if you disagree with the assessed value. The Assessor's Office maintains a file of information on your personal property. If you have questions about your assessment; you should review this information with an appraiser to ensure its accuracy. If you cannot resolve your disagreement with the appraiser, you may appeal to the Nez Perce County Board of Equalization, which consists of the Nez Perce County Commissioners.

Your appeal must be filed with the Nez Perce County Clerk by the fourth Monday in June. If you received your assessment notice in the latter part of the year, your appeal must be filed in January. Please be prepared to document your reasons for requesting a change in your property's assessed value. You will need to prove that the appraiser's value is not the current market value of the personal property. If needed, you can obtain an appeal form from the NPC Commissioners Office.

Q:How are my personal property taxes determined?

The market value of your property is one factor in setting the amount of tax you pay. However, appraisers do not determine tax amounts. The amount of taxes is determined by the budgets of the taxing districts in which your property is located.

There are many kinds of taxing districts in Nez Perce County. Some, like cities and the county, provide a wide range of services. Other districts levy taxes for specific purposes, like highways, schools or fire protection. Each taxing district is administered by officials who determine how much money the district needs to provide services. After a district's budget is set, the budget is divided by the total taxable value of all property within the taxing district to arrive at a tax rate. The tax rate is multiplied by the taxable value of your property, resulting in the amount of taxes you owe.

Each property is located within several independent taxing districts. This means your property tax bill includes taxes for all the districts in which your property is located. This combination of taxing districts is known as a "tax code area," Each of these areas is assigned a number that appears on your assessment notice and tax bill. Within each tax code area, the total tax rate is the same for all classes of property.

Q:When will I get my personal property tax bill?

You will normally receive your personal property tax bill by the end of November from the Nez Perce County Treasurer. For sub-roll assessments, you should receive the bill in January or February of the following year. If you have questions about your property tax bill, please contact the NPC Treasurer's Office at 208-799-3030.

Q:Do I have to pay my personal property taxes all at once?

Usually, personal property taxes are due on or before December 20th, and may be paid in two halves - the first half due December 20th, and the second half by June 20th of the following year.

Q:What happens if my personal property taxes are not paid on time?

Taxes are delinquent if not paid by the due date. Delinquent taxes accrue interest and penalties, which are also a lien, against your property. At this point, the Nez Perce County Sheriff can seize and sell your property.


Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Email Dan


Office Location
1230 Main Street
Lewiston, ID 83501

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 896
Lewiston, ID 83501


Contact Us

Assessor's Office
: 208-799-3010
Fax: 208-799-3037
Office Hours
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Auto Vehicle License
: 208-799-3026
Fax: 208-799-3168
Office Hours
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM


Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2024 by Nez Perce County
Back To Top