Nez Perce County is located in North Central Idaho. With a total land area of 855 square miles, it encompasses the cities of Culdesac (population 380), Lapwai (1,137), Lewiston (31,894) and Peck (186), and the communities of Lenore, Leland, Gifford, Myrtle, Waha, Cameron and Southwick. The total population for the county in 2010 was 39,265.
Though it was originally established by the Territorial Legislature of Washington in 1861, Nez Perce County quickly moved on to become one of the four original Idaho counties from which our current 44 were carved.
The county as we know it today was established February 4, 1864 by the Idaho Territorial Legislature with its county seat at Lewiston and present boundaries set by 1911.
Lewis and Clark were the first white men to enter the area in 1805 that would later be named for the Nez Perce Indians who occupied it. Lewiston served as the territorial capital for twenty-two months before the capital was moved to Boise.